Friday, February 27, 2009

A Little About Imam Nawawi (rahmatullah 'alaihi)



Riyad us-Saliheen (the Meadows of the Righteous)

Compiled by Al-Imam Abu Zakariya Yahya bin Sharaf An-Nawawi Ad-Dimashqi (rahmatullah 'alaihi)


Imam Nawawi was a great Shafi’i scholar born in Nawa, a place near Damascas, in the year 631A.H. Just to summarize his youth, a very pious person from Nawa, Shaikh Yasin bin Yousuf Marakashi had noticed him as a boy not playing with children his own age but keeping busy with the recitation of the Holy Qur’an. When the children urged him to join them, he refused to join their foolish actions. Shaikh Yasin then saw greatness in young Imam Nawawi and went to his teacher and urged him to take special care of him as he was to become a great Islamic scholar, and one of the most pious figures in the future. The teacher questioned him as to whether he was some sort of a soothsayer or an astrologer. Shaikh Yasin told him he was neither a soothsayer nor and astrologer but Allah (swt) had caused him to utter these words. The teacher relayed this incident to Imam Nawawi’s father and from there, his father made sure that his son would dedicate his life for Ilm and to promote Islam.

Imam Nawawi then went to Damascus to study under great scholars and sacrificing even from his needs like sleep and food for Ilm. During his stay in Damascus alone, he studied under many great scholars (more then 20). Then there were hundreds of students that he taught as well. He had a great desire for learning and was blessed with many gifts and qualities from Allah (swt) like fast memory, depth of thought, concentration, absorption of Ilm, his simplicity of life, piety, teaching, excellent character, etc.

He has written many books on different subjects like, Al-Minhaj fil Sharh Sahih Muslim, Sharh Sahih Al-Bukhari, Tabaqat Ash-Shafi’iyahm Munaqib0 ush-Shafi’i, and many more.

He died at the age of 45 in the year, 676 A.H.

May Allah (swt)’s Mercy be upon him.

I'm not the best at summarizing but I am trying and inshaAllah by the time I get half way through the book I'll be a pro! I could type out the whole thing at I do at the Halaqah, but that goes from 30-45min so I don't think my blog will stay alive if I try to do that. You all know I'm not as regular with posting anymore so for now summaries it is. Unless that is you want to come all the way to the Prairies and listen to me babble on and on--yeah, I'm not that popular. Make du'a that Allah (swt) helps me with the Halaqahs and the blog summaries.

--

No comments: