I have this book entitled "Only Fools and Fools" by Ml. Ahmad Ali. This book is a brief summary of the work written by Ibn Jawzi, who compiled the work "so that an intellectual could read these stories and realize from them the value of intellect, appreciate, and thank Allah for this great blessing". The following stories have been taken from this book.
- On one occasion Hija heard somebody applaud "What a beautiful moon". He replied "Yes, by Allah - especially at night."
- On another occasion, Hija buried some money in the jungle and took a cloud as a sign to remember the secret place.
- Abu Hasan relates that a man said to Hija, "I heard a loud noise coming from your house." He replied, "It was the sound of my falling shirt." The man exclaimed, "The sound of your falling shirt was so loud?" He replied, "When I was inside the shirt (i.e. wearing the shirt) would I not have fallen with it?"
- A man relates that I saw a muazzin who immediately ran away after performing the Adhan. Out of curiosity, I asked him "Where are you going?" He replied, "I want to find out how far the sound of my Adhan reaches."
- A Bedouin once joined the Imam for Fajar Salah. He had an appointment after the prayer but the Imam decided to recite Surah Baqarah. As a result of the length of this Surah, the Bedouin was delayed and missed his appointment. The next day he arrived early and joined the Imam again, who this time began to recite Surah Feel (the Elephant). Completely angry, the Bedouin broke his prayer and left the masjid, shouting "Yesterday you read the The Cow (Surah Baqarah) and finished the Cow and today you are reciting the Elephant (Surah Feel), you will probably finish at midnight!"
- A teacher without reason hit his student. He was questioned as to why he had done this. He replied, "I hit him in advance before he made a mistake, so that way he does not make a mistake."
- Ibn Josey relates, that my friend informed me that a man married a woman who was very short in size. The people questioned, "What have you done?" So he replied, "A woman is evil, the less the evil, the better."
- Tahir Zohiree relates that a man would remain silent in the gatherings of Abu Yousaf. "Do you not speak?" Imam Abu Yousaf asked. He replied in the affirmative and then asked, "When does one open the fast?" Imam Abu Yousaf replied, "As soon as the sun sets". The man asked "But what if the sun does not set till midnight, what should be done?" Imam Abu Yousaf smiled and commented "You were right to remain silent". (If it is midnight then obviously the sun will have already set)